Tuesday, August 20, 2013

We bought a zoo!

As an artist I see drawing as one of the most vital parts of my artistic process. Drawing also seems to be the hardest and most rewarding part of what I teach. For this reason I am always looking for ways to keep my students excited about it. To me, the art room seems like a pretty sterile environment when it comes to visual stimulation. The great outdoors, the clutter of a home, or new places seem like more ideal settings for discovering objects of interest for drawing. I do know, however, that children adore animals. For this reason I have invested in a set of realistic animal figurines. They still encourage the student to draw from a 3D object, but especially for the younger ones it stirs their imagination to create wonderful, inventive drawings. 


1 comment:

  1. I hit up the Dollar Tree to buy some plastic animals for observational drawing. I hope to add more next year. They've been very popular! Unfortunately 2 of my penguins were stolen... Hopefully no more disappear.

    ReplyDelete